Trade Dept notifies exporters of payment for terminal handling charge, inspection cost, commission from 35% of export earnings

The Trade Department under the Ministry of Commerce has notified on 29 August that exporters have to pay terminal handling charges, inspection costs and commission from 35 per cent of export earnings. They must pay them 35 per cent of export earnings. They do not need to request approval from the Foreign Exchange Supervisory Committee (FESC) regarding this case, according to the committee’s meeting (43/2022). Therefore, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry has notified the related associations of the directive of the FESC.

Regarding the relaxation of the procedure, the shipping process is expected to go smoothly. However, as they must pay 35 per cent of export earnings, the amount of dollars they can sell themselves has become lower, the Myanmar Enterprise Solutions posted on its Facebook Page. According to the CBM’s notification dated 5 August 2022, exporters have to convert only 65 per cent of the hard currency they earned into local currency within one working day.

The CBM issued a statement dated 16 August 2022 that exporters can use 35 per cent of export earnings or sell them to authorized dealers (banks) or make remittances to others. Regarding foreign accounts of the exporters at the banks, 65 per cent of earnings must be exchanged for local currency within one working day. Banks must conduct transactions from the remaining 35 per cent for the use of exporters or remittances or selling them onto ADs, and those entities (companies, institutions and individuals) must sell them to the ADs or use themselves within 30 days of earnings. Exporters must seek the approval of the Foreign Exchange Supervisory Committee to carry out cross-border transactions. 

Source: The Global New Light of Myanmar

image_6483441 (4)

Companies registered on MyCO exceed 8,200 in past eight months: DICA

The number of companies registered on the online registry system, MyCO, topped 8,274 in the past eight months (January-August) this year, the statistics released by the Directorate of Investment and Company Administration (DICA) indicated. The registration and re-registration of companies on the MyCO website commenced on 1 August 2018, in keeping with the Myanmar Companies Law 2017. The figures of registered companies stood at 8,011 in 2021, 15,080 in 2020, 17,380 in 2019 and 8,506 in 2018, as per statistics of the DICA.

The previously registered companies had to re-register on the MyCO and a total of 46,377 companies were re-registered on the MyCO between 1 August 2018 and 31 January 2019. In addition, all registered companies need to file annual returns (AR) on the MyCO registry system within two months of incorporation, and at least once every year (not later than one month after the anniversary of the incorporation), according to Section 97 of the Myanmar Companies Law 2017. According to Section 266 (A) of the Myanmar Companies Law 2017, public companies must submit annual returns and financial statements (G-5) simultaneously.

All overseas corporations must submit ARs in the prescribed format on MyCO within 28 days of the financial year ending, as per Section 53 (A-1) of the Myanmar Companies Law 2017. As per DICA’s report, over 400 companies are suspended every month for failing to submit AR forms within the due date. As a result of this, newly established companies are required to submit ARs within two months of incorporation or face a fine of K100,000 for filing late returns.

The DICA has notified that any company which fails to submit its AR within 13 months will be notified of its suspension (I-9A). If it fails to submit the AR within 28 days of receiving the notice, the system will show the company’s status as suspended. Companies can restore their status only after shelling out a fine of K50,000 for the AR fee, K100,000 for restoration of the company on the Register, and K100,000 for late filing of documents. If a company fails to restore its status within six months of suspension, the registrar will strike its name off the register, according to the DICA notice.

Source: The Global New Light of Myanmar